Are you due for your regular dental cleaning? It’s normal to feel nervous or anxious about your dental visit, but there is really no need. A dental cleaning is an important step in maintaining your oral health, and we complete this simple process in five easy steps:
1. Dental X-Rays: When you arrive at the dental office, we will greet you with a smile and escort you to a comfortable dental chair. To evaluate the health and strength of your smile, we may take some dental X-rays of your oral cavity to take a look at your teeth, tooth roots and jawbone structure so that our dentist can identify any existing dental problems.
2. Deep cleaning: Next, our friendly hygienist will gently clean your teeth by using a special tool to remove plaque. It’s important to clean your smile to protect your teeth from dental health risks such as gingivitis and tooth decay.
3. Polishing: Following the dental cleaning, we can polish the surface of your smile with a tool that leaves an initial gritty feeling, but will leave your teeth feeling smooth and clean after a few rinses.
4. Flossing: We will also floss between each tooth to remove any lingering food or plaque that has become stuck in the hard-to-reach areas of your smile. This can include around a permanent retainer or braces.
5. Fluoride treatment: If needed at the end of your dental check-up, we can further improve your teeth by providing a fluoride treatment. This is typically administered as a gel, foam or varnish that is applied to your teeth for a few minutes, allowing the minerals to soak into your tooth enamel and improve its quality. After a short while, we flush away the fluoride from your mouth.
If you would like to learn more about the process of a dental cleaning in Plano, Texas, contact North Texas Dental Associates at 972.535.6647 today to schedule a visit with our dentists, Drs. Hillstrom and Yue.